DBI possibly bogus error message

Andy Todd andy47 at halfcooked.com
Tue Jan 29 01:16:00 EST 2002

Lee <lee at jamtoday.com> wrote in news:h37c5ugr0t6dn3gt37mf7em7oddrjrddf2@
4ax.com:

> I'm a brand new Python user.  I've got Active Python (and Active Perl)
> installed on my wintel sysem.
>
> I'm using the pyperl module to reach  perl's DBI and DBD-Oracle
> modules.
>
> I follow the example in dbi2.py (which has an error, in the connect
> statement  by the way,instead of DBI:Oracle:database=blahblah  I
> needed DBI:Oracle:blahblah).
>
> After some mucking about, I got an error message "Cant locate
> Python/Object.pm in @INC (@INC contains: ...<my path to Perl/lig and
> Perl/site/lib> )
> BEGIN failled--compiation aborted
>
> After that unpromissing beginning, lo and behold, I see the data I've
> selected from my oracle table neatly printed out as advertized.
>
> Anybody have a clue as to whats going on?
>
> Is the error truly bogus? If not, whats the problem and how do I fix
> it? If so, how do I surpress it?
>
> Thanx in advance

Lee,

I'm not a Perl user so can't address that part of your question. I do,
however, frequently access Oracle databases directly from Python.

May I suggest you check out the DB-Sig (http://www.python.org/sigs/db-sig/)
and the associated Database topic guide
(http://www.python.org/topics/database/).

On those pages you will find pointers to a number of Python modules that
allow you to directly access Oracle. The two that I have used are cx_Oracle
(http://www.computronix.com/utilities) and DCOracle2
(http://www.zope.org/Members/matt/dco2 - although there may be a more up to
date reference at zope.org)

Once you see how easy it is to get Python talking to Oracle you will never
go back, trust me ;-)

Regards,
Andy
--