Compiling python 2.2 with history command line support

Andrew MacIntyre andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au
Thu Jan 10 03:19:03 EST 2002

On Wed, 9 Jan 2002, Gerhard [iso-8859-15] Häring wrote:

> > > You need to download the libreadline (and libreadline_dev?) packages.
> > > apt-get install or dselect; you know the drill. Then rebuild python,
> > > of course.
> >
> > Why do you need to rebuild Python?  Last time I looked the readline
> > module works fine as a loadable module, and if available is autoloaded.
>
> Because the readline module won't be built if the readline headers
> aren't available at compile time. The same is true for most other
> modules in the Python source tree (can't fint headers -> won't compile).

Hmmm...  I thought that the Distutils solved this, so that you could
install the readline stuff, then re-run the setup.py script that builds
the extensions.  Still can't see why you need to rebuild Python,
especially as the original poster actually built from source, unless the
Debian port maintainer changes things.

E-mail: andymac at bullseye.apana.org.au  | Snail: PO Box 370
        andymac at pcug.org.au            |        Belconnen  ACT  2616
Web:    http://www.andymac.org/        |        Australia