Python on Tandy Model 102?

Marc Poulin mpoulin at verinet.com
Wed Jan 30 14:35:35 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1012338228.27174.python-list at python.org>, "Skip
Montanaro" <skip at pobox.com> wrote:

> Agreed.  The only situation in which a .so makes sense is if you link it
> into multiple applications and run them at the same time.  That's why
> it's a win for libc to be a shared library.  I expect on 99% of the
> machines with Python available, the only application they run that needs
> Python's functionality is Python itself.  Of course, that may change
> over time as more applications realize how kewl Python is as an
> extension language, but it's not true today.

Let's not forget that there are pros and cons to everything, including
shared libraries. If you have multiple copies of the lib on you machine
it's possible to load the wrong one (by messing up your LDLIB path, for
example). Not that I've ever done that myself ...</sigh>
I once worked for a company that build its applications statically
linked for just that reason.(Disk space is cheap; delaying a release
to track down some stupid mistake in your environment is not.)