Python on Tandy Model 102?

Tim Peters tim.one at home.com
Mon Jan 14 19:34:06 EST 2002

[Paul Rubin]
> I think the model 100 came with 8k, and the 102 was the "improved"
> version.

The 100 came in 8KB and 24KB versions; I had the 24KB one, and maxed it out
at 32KB.  Here's some accurate history:

    http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=233

The 102 was mostly repackaging (smaller, lighter).

> There's certainly no way to get the current Python implementations to
> work (the usual meaning of "port") usefully on those machines.
> However it might be feasible to implement some Python subset from
> scratch, in a way that could fit, and still have a Python-like
> programming experience.  It would be sort of like running Lisp on a
> PDP-8, which various people did at different times.  You couldn't
> exactly develop large applications but it could be kind of cool
> nontheless.

Have fun <wink>.  I wrote an interpreter for a pure functional language that
ran on the Model 100, and the register assigner for Cray's CFT77 compiler
was prototyped on it (unlike Crays, the M100 never crashed, so overall it
was more productive <0.9 wink>), and (etc), so I realize there's a lot that
can be done in 24KB.  I'm afraid that's a lost art now.  Hell, Python blows
more code than that trying to keep the signs of floating zeroes correct, and
it's barely trying at all.

why-a-8kb-machine-wasted-two-bytes-on-line-ends-still-baffles-me-but-
    the-basic-interpreter-relied-on-it-for-display-ly y'rs  - tim