OT again... is there an IMAP expert in the house?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Tue Jan 29 00:29:15 EST 2002

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote in message
> "Jonathan Hogg" <jonathan at onegoodidea.com> wrote in message
> news:<B87B7887.3C30%jonathan at onegoodidea.com>...
> [ hack hack hack ]
> > I would suspect though that many IMAP clients, while they expect
messages
> > appear in mailboxes, probably get upset at messages disappearing on
them.
> > don't think this is anything to do with IMAP, but is a problem with them
> > assuming they have sole access to the mailbox (other than the delivery
> > program).
>
> I believe that you are right, based on my test results.  Netscape seems to
> have some rudimentary support (in 4.7) for shared folders, but I'm not
sure
> that it works (again based on my tests); Outlook Express seems positively
> ignorant about it.

I can guarantee, from sordid personal experience, that Outlook Express will
end up totally bemused if messages disappear from an IMAP folder. The folder
loses synchronization and the account containing it effectively becomes
unusable until oofle dust is sprinkled on it.

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/