Autocoding evolves from........

Sam Holden sholden at pgrad.cs.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jan 28 22:41:39 EST 2002

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 02:42:49 GMT, Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>On 28-Jan-02 12:35:57 Terry Reedy <tjreedy at home.com> wrote:
>>"Timothy Rue" <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>>%> shop <lumberstore >yardsale
>
>>OK, so you are aware of prior art and are willing to acknowledge that
>>you are building upon it.  Good
>

>I would like to know what is going thru your head that you'd write such a
>thing.
>
>Perhaps if you tell me what your interest is in the prior art issue and
>what it is you think is going thru my mind, then maybe I can correct your
>perspective of me.

I can't speak for the OP, but mentioning prior art is an important part
of progress. Things which are not based upong some prior art have a much
much higher chance of being invalid. This is how science has progressed in
human history.

Thus the OP was probably making a passing comment that the fact that you
have done so is a good sign. If you have looked at prior art there is less
chance you are reinventing something that has been done before, and
more importantly less chance you are making the same mistake that has been
made before.

Why would you want to 'correct' a perspective of you which is widely held
to be good and useful?

--
Sam Holden