Any reason not to use client-side XSL?? (was: Preferred tool for folding XML into HTML)

John W. Baxter jwbaxter at spamcop.net
Tue Jan 8 23:12:13 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1010512091.6609.python-list at python.org>, Karthik
Gurumurthy <karthikg at aztec.soft.net> wrote:

> It seems clear that XSL is the way to go. I have heard that
> Internet Explorer supports client-side style sheets, i.e.,
> your webapp returns the XML with reference to stylesheet,
> and IE will retreive the style sheet and apply it on the
> client side.

At the present state of the XML/XSL/Browser world, it would seem only
appropriate on the client side in situations in which one has control
over the clients (IT says Thou Shalt use IE 5.5 (or 6), and the like in
an in-house situation).

Or, if you really want to deny access to non-XSL browsers or provide
alternative pages for them.

  --John (who keeps ECMA Script off in many of his browsers)