[slightly OT] Windows resources/docs

Graham Ashton graz at mindless.com
Mon Jan 21 14:05:06 EST 2002

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 14:28:04 +0000, Alex Martelli wrote:

> "Graham Ashton" <graham at effectif.idps.co.uk> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1011612270.18786.python-list at python.org...
>> I'd like to be able to control parts of Windows from Python, but don't
>> know where to look to find out about possible interfaces.
>
> Microsoft's MSDN site is generally where you end up

I was afraid it might be. Nice and navigable isn't it....

>> If it is, how would I go about finding out what the API is for
>> accessing things like the Recycle Bin from Python?
>
> I go to  www.google.com  and enter in the textbox:
>
>     "empty recycle bin"

[snip impressive use of common sense]

>     from win32com.shell import shell
>
> I try that, it works as documented, end of search.

Hurrah! Thanks very much for spending the time on that Alex. My problem is
sorted. Well, it will be when I've worked out how to get a hwnd. Without
one Python bombs. I'm determined to find out how to do that bit for
myself...

> of course with time you build up a base of "bookmarks" and knowledge
> which helps you cut the time.  Alas, sometimes one hits a brickwall --
> and that's when one asks on the suitable newsgroups or mailing lists:-).

I did search, and I found SHEmptyRecycleBin, but I didn't think of
searching for python along side it. I guess that makes me a doofus. ;)
Tips duly noted.

--
Graham