Autocoding project proposal.

Paul Wright -$P-W$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Fri Jan 25 13:14:16 EST 2002

In article <6126.790T236T6663778threeseas at earthlink.net>,
Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>On 25-Jan-02 04:44:23 Quinn Dunkan <quinn at retch.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>>On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:30:24 GMT, Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net>
>>wrote:
>>>Even mathmatics has it's limitations on it's ability to express. Godels
>>>Theorm and Turning halting problem.
>
>>A sentence like this puts me in an Alex Chiu state of mind...
>
>Who is that person and what are they about?

http://www.alexchiu.com/

Most renowned for the invention of the immortality ring.

>It might actually be easier that way instead of the majority having to
>train programmers about what they want to do with computers, while
>knowing full well the programmers are going to leave as soon as they do
>one job.... And if it's interesting enough the programmer might slap
>ownership rights on it, if they can, so to charge the client/teacher...

Python is already being used as a language to teach programming to
non-programmers. It's not clear what you're proposing which would add to
this. One thing which is required when teaching programming is clarity,
ironically.

>>A better approach would be to pose a few realistic concrete problems,
>>how you'd solve them with existing tools, and how you'd solve them
>>with the acronym raft.
>
>:) you're not ready for such training, yet.
>
>You have made it very clear that any such problem and solution I give
>using the VIC commands will be responded to with a barrage of other
>ways to solve each problems using a variety of different tools along
>with specific remarks about the proper, in someones opinion, as to how
>this and that code should be done (regardless of its working status).
>
>I, on the other hand, believe that such expertise as you seem to claim
>you have, is because you have done it enough over and over that it's
>possible to automate these do's, don'ts, standards, and best ways so
>that us dumb ass end users can actually get something done for
>ourselves, instead of being insulted by the elite class that you seem
>to be a part of, in any effort we apply to do something.

Can you rewrite that last paragraph? I got lost around "done it over and
other that it's possible".

It's interesting that you complain about an "elite class" at the same
time as telling us that we are not ready to understand a practical
application of your ideas. Do you think they will be usable by someone
other than you at any point?

You could write a page to your site about the conspiracy among
the programming elite to keep everyone else out. I'd link to Neil
Stephenson's essay "In the Beginning was the Command Line", which you
can find using Google. You could title the page "Help! Help! I'm being
oppressed!", for bonus points from the Python community.

You could also invest in a hit lined with tin-foil to deflect our mind
control rays. I'll probably get into trouble for telling you this, but
there's something called the PSA which ---PSA REFERENCE DETECTED---
Using PSA USENET AI to re-write post... Completed.  ---END--- is
perfectly harmless and nothing to be concerned about. Move along,
please.

>I also believe such efforts to automate such a coding process qualifies as
>genuine software engineering, as opposed to psuedo software engineering.

How much software development have you done?

>>The other option is to continue pursuing the Alex Chiu line and crank
>>out the manifestos.  If you enjoy that kind of thing, you might
>>acquire a certain kind of fame, but you'd have to work hard because
>>it's a competitive field.
>
>Is that what you are doing?
>
>I don't want to compete with you.

You're not competing with him, you're competing with Alex Chiu. Chui is
winning, though. VIC can't hold a candle to the immortality ring.
Perhaps you could invent a perpetual motion machine? Your clear grasp of
physical theories like relativity should make this a trivial task.

>I simple want to get a tool built that can be useful to all of us, allow
>me and others to do alot more.

Then produce real code and show how it is useful.  Show us how your code
is better than what already exists.

--
Paul Wright | http://pobox.com/~pw201 |