O.T. (slightly) -- anyone successfully using wasp? (python html preprocessor)

Tim Churches tchur at optushome.com.au
Wed Jan 30 16:48:28 EST 2002

Moss Hart wrote:

> Hi. As per subject line I'm trying to set up WASP, a python-based html
> templating facility which has been referred to on this group from time
> to time by its author Robin Parmar.(
> http://www.execulink.com/~robin1/wasp/readme.html )
>  If anyone's successfully running it, I'm interested in configuration
> issues under Apache/linux. The docs focus on a virtual server setup
> and I'm using the main server option, plus as mentioned above learning
> as I go.
>
> I'm attempting to set it up on Apache and have had difficulties. The
> author seems currently to be incommunicado (to me at least). I've put
> a lot of time into it and would like to get it right. I'm trying to
> verify whether I've got Apache config problems (O.T.) or perhaps
> Python environment problems -- my problem seems to relate to the
> python script hanging after importing a specific module that comes
> with the system. Had to compile and install 2.1.2 to run it which I
> had never done before.

It might be too late for you to change horses for this project, but for
future projects I would recommend that you take a look at Albatross, by
Object Craft - see http://www.object-craft.com.au

Dave Cole of Object Craft has announced Albatross on this list
previously, but to re-iterate, Albatross is a free, open source Web
application toolkit which allows embedding of Python code in HTML but
goes far beyond that to provide an architecture which allows you to
cleanly separate your application presentation layer from the program
logic. It also offers multiple ways of preserving Web application state
through various mixin classes. As such, it is very close to Wasp in what
it sets out to achieve. It currently comes with 125 pages of detailed
documentation (more is on the way), the Object Craft guys are very
helpful (there are three of them, so someone is always around to answer
questions) and they offer paid support contracts (priced in Australian
dollars, so they are remarkably cheap if you are paying with US$ or
Euros or Sterling). So far, despite its relatively early version
numbering (V0.05 so far) I've found only one minor bug and that was
fixed by Object Craft within 12 hours. Also two spelling mistakes in the
documentation...tut, tut.

Disclaimer: Although I have no financial interest in Object Craft, we
have engaged the Object Craft guys on a contract to help us build a
rather complex Web application, so I do have an ulterior motive in
seeing Albatross taken up and used by others in order to spread future
development and support costs.

Cheers,

Tim C