Python on Tandy Model 102?

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Mon Jan 14 18:12:42 EST 2002

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:
> [Dan Hamm]
> > I know this is a weird question, but does anyone know if
> > someone has ported Python to be able to use it on an old Tandy
> > Model 102 laptop?  This machine> has a small Basic interpreter,
> > and I was just thinking it might be able to handle Python as well.
>
> [Sean 'Shaleh' Perry]
> > would enough python to be usable fit on a tandy?
>
> Not even in a ballpark in the same galaxy.  The Model 102 had 24KB RAM,
> expandable to a whopping 32KB (I paid about $80.00 for an 8KB upgrade chip
> for my Model 100 way back when).

I think the model 100 came with 8k, and the 102 was the "improved"
version.

There's certainly no way to get the current Python implementations to
work (the usual meaning of "port") usefully on those machines.
However it might be feasible to implement some Python subset from
scratch, in a way that could fit, and still have a Python-like
programming experience.  It would be sort of like running Lisp on a
PDP-8, which various people did at different times.  You couldn't
exactly develop large applications but it could be kind of cool nontheless.