Autocoding project proposal.

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 24 21:30:31 EST 2002

On 23-Jan-02 17:45:37 David Masterson <dmaster at synopsys.com> wrote:

>> This posting is to introduce or suggest an open source software
>> project to produce a core tool that will allow an autocoding
>> environment to be developed, allowed to evolve in the open source
>> software community and spirit of. I believe we can overcome many of
>> the problems that proprietary autocoding systems inherently have
>> (not to mention that existing autocoding systems appear to be
>> field/domain specific limited and that it may be possible to beat
>> this too.)

>After making the mistake of commenting on a followup to this message
>without reading this message, I went back and found it.  I've now done
>a brief skim of the references that you listed in this message.  I
>consider myself a good "skimmer" (although I could've missed much),
>but I (like another newspost you referenced) came away confused about
>what you were trying to accomplish.  In my mind, the basic problem
>seems to be that you have a long (perhaps very long) term goal
>described in these papers with some (*BIG*) steps about how to get
>there, but you lack the rigorous small steps needed before what you're
>talking about will actually make sense.

not long term. Certainly a shell (optional function library) having nine
commands is.....well not long term. That's just the core, the rest, though
bigger,.... much is already available to work with.

>Many different disciplines are involved in aspects of this in one way
>or another:

not really. More like realizing it's just a matter of understanding why
it appears to cross so many different disciplines. Which is the nine
action constants are used in all disciplines.

>* Object Orientation -- to describe the process of building components
>  that can be assembled into large pieces of knowledge.

recursion. take these part put them to-get-her to make this part and use
it with these other other parts to get this together ....etc..

>* UML -- to define a visual mechanism for describing the processes
>  involved with object orientation.

a glorified flow chart that evolved out of recognizing commonality of
the scratch work everyone was doing and then trying to standardize it.
What is a high level graphical language that needs foot notes.

Useful for perhaps those who want to use it, but needs gears and bearing
under it in order to translate it down thru various levels of abstraction
to what may or may not be the target of code. (see other post about gears
and bearings)

>* Artificial Intelligence -- to find and describe ways of converting
>  information into knowledge.

AI - nothing is naturally that stupid.

Artificial Intelligence (as has been so preceived by the public and
promoted in the "Turing Test" is in act the by-product illusion of
dynamically automating stuff to the point of fooling a human into thinking
they are communicating with another human that may be really really smart.

to achiveve this, you need gears and bearings of and for automation. 9acts

>* Relational Database Management -- to provide mathematical foundation
>  to relating pieces of information to one another in an efficient
>  manner.

Math is a subset of the class "abstraction" and as such it is limited.
However what is going on at www.archive.org to create a database of all
human knowledge is really amazing. and How they are doing it is even more
amazing.

>* Pattern Recognition -- to describe how pieces of data can be broken
>  down into patterns for efficient recognition.

pattern matching ---> word = extending definition

the most basic form that is beyond the abstraction set of roman numerals
or what we came up with to replace roman numerals. Alpha-numeric+++

>* ... many others that I'm not familiar with (not that I'm very
>  familiar with the above either).

Yes there are indeed many specialized fields which can sometimes have very
focused and fast solutions. And although these things can be used with
great success (Image recognition, AI algorythims, database algorithims for
super fast access, etc..) there is still the much slower and simpler
movement/actions that can be used to put these things together to make
bigger parts. Everything doesn't have to be a speed deamon, includint the
turtle that beat the rabbit over the finish line.

>Do you have a "strawman" proposal of (at least) a small piece of what
>you're getting at that can show the value of what you want?

yes. see other message for IQ in python link. As well as the links to
specific command specifications

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<
Search email/name @ http://www.dejanews.com for other puzzle parts/posts.