Pymacs 0.13

François Pinard pinard at iro.umontreal.ca
Sun Jan 6 19:58:11 EST 2002

Hi!  A new release of Pymacs is available as:

    http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pinard/pymacs/pymacs.tar.gz

Pymacs allows Emacs users to extend Emacs using Python, where they might have
traditionally used Emacs LISP.  Pymacs runs on systems having sub-processes.

Here are the few changes appearing with this release.

* `pymacs_load_hook' gets invoked at `pymacs-load' time if defined in the
  loaded Python module.

* `pymacs-load' better handles Pymacs modules which are part of Python
  packages (thanks to Syver Enstad).

* A few users asked me for some more substantial example, so I included
  one in the distribution.  See below.

The `rebox' batch script and the `rebox.py' Pymacs interactive module may
be used to refill boxed comments, for various programming or scripting
languages.  These tools may also change the box style.  Installation is
optional, yet once installed, `rebox --help' yields usage documentation.
The `README' file, in the example section at the end, holds a discussion of
`rebox.py' as a Pymacs application.  The translation of `rebox' from Emacs
LISP to Python is fairly recent, so please report bugs for `rebox' as well.

Pymacs uses its own interactive `setup' script, while `rebox' uses a standard
Distutils `setup.py' script.  See `README' for installation details.  I would
like to progressively switch to Distutils, but am not familiar enough yet for
getting rid of the interactive `setup'.  This might be uneasy, I'm not sure.
If you know Distutils well and feel like helping me at this, you are welcome.

I would probably like to change how Pymacs is used.  Currently, we do:

    import pymacs
    from pymacs import lisp

while I would like that we become able to do:

    from Pymacs import lisp, pymacs

instead.  In fact, `lisp' should still be part of `pymacs', but I presume
the above could be achieved with some `__init__.py' trickery.  Please tell
me if you know how to do these things, or share your comments on the change.

               Take this as my humble New Year gift.  Keep happy, all!