OT Annoying Dir Boxes

Michael Robin me at mikerobin.com
Thu Feb 14 13:45:39 EST 2002

Philip Swartzleonard <starx at pacbell.net> wrote in message news:<Xns91B4EC515D335RASXnewsDFE1 at 130.133.1.4>...
> Stephen Ferg || Wed 13 Feb 2002 09:50:00a:
>
> This doesn't really have anything to do with this thread, but i'd like to
> make this comment: =PLEASE= don't use the (apparently) standard directory
> selcetion dialog in windows if you can avoid it. It can be truly
> aggrivating when you know exactly how to type your way there, but -have- to
> use the box... and on a reasonably crowded file system, this means 'open
> node, scroll down, open node, scroll down' repeat-until-insane.

You can type the path into the FileOpen dialog at any time, with or
without mousing first. I would say the opposite, please don't invent
your own file open dialog unless you have to - you'll lose multiple
views, property access, drag & drop, filename completion and standard
keyboard shortcuts - not to mention those who need to hook into
accessibility features.