Possible dumb query

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Feb 12 00:37:56 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "ahimsa consulting" <ahimsa at inext.co.za>

> Greeting Pythonites
>
> This might qualify as one of those "really dumb questions", but:
>
> Under Linux RH 7.2 when doing a search for which python ("$ which python")
> have discovered that I have one entry for python as /usr/bin/python and
one
> entry for python2.2 as /usr/bin/python2.2. My question is this: if I were
> delete the directory /usr/bin/python what impact - if any - will it have
on
> any of the libraries/ etc. that I would require to use python2.2

/usr/bin/python should not be a directory, it should be an executable
program
or a symbolic link.

Do this:

    $ python

and look at the version number.  If it's 1.5.2 then you have two versions,
but if it's 2.2 then that's the only version installed.

Likely you have both, as RedHat uses Python in their admin toolset, and
usually install 1.5.2 as the "approved" version.  So, deleting 1.5.2 might
be a horrible mistake.

> Once again, my apologies if this is a dumb query, but gotta learn somehow.

No problem here.