Which GUI toolkit to use?

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Feb 8 11:12:56 EST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002 20:07:41 -0500, Joshua Muskovitz <joshm at taconic.net> wrote:
> 1.  Needs to run on Windows platform.
> 2.  Needs to easily support completely custom paint (buttons, scrollers,
> listboxes, etc).
> 3.  Needs to handle simple input (editboxes, onLeftClick events).
>
> The goal is to produce an app that runs full screen on a Win platform

 This could be achieved by using wxPython with wxUniv/MSW port of wxWindows.
However nobody has built such a beast yet to the best of my knowledge and
wxUniv itself is still in beta (i.e. has a few known bugs - but we're working
on it...)

> Tk seems like it is a pain to use, wxWindows seems like it doesn't make
> painting easy, pythonwin (win32ui) might be the way to go, ...

 Painting is as easy in wxPython/MSW as in win32ui: basicly none of them
provides a way to have completely custom-painted controls (they both use the
standard Windows controls and they can only be customized in a very limited
sense of the word). wxPython/MSW is able to do anything win32ui does so if
this is enough for your purposes, try it out. If not, see above: wxUniv paints
all controls itself so you may have whatever look you need. If you need more
information about this, please ask on comp.soft-sys.wxwindows as this is
rather OT here.

 Regards,
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?