help - inserting values into database tables

chajadan python at chajadan.net
Tue Feb 19 00:57:07 EST 2002

Hi Joe =)

Your problem shouldn't be too hard to fix.

Using odbc, you can't open the database file directly like that, since odbc
supports so many different database standards, it needs to know which one.

This requires a DNS. In order to set up a DNS for MS Access, just go to
your control panel, and you should have an option called "OBDC Datasources"
or similar. Click that, and it will show you your current DSNs. There are
several types of DSNs, but you will want to make this file a System DSN, so
click that tab. Select New, and choose the correct database driver, in this
case MS Access. Then you have to name the DSN, anything you'd like (avoid
spaces), chose a login/password or leave that blank, and finally show it
the database file this whole DSN should be referring to.

Then, you can odbc.odbc("myDsnName")

=)

Let me know if you have any other questions and I'll try to help. I work on
Win98, so some of what I described may look slightly different under XP,
but it should be there.

Good luck!

--chajadan
aka charlie