high precision mathematics

Stephen L Arnold sarnold at arnolds.dhs.org
Sun Feb 17 10:53:33 EST 2002

On 17 Feb 02, at 15:10, Jaap Spies wrote:

> I.J. wrote:
>
> > Is there a module for python that grants ussage of decimal numbers with more
> > than 14 decimal places, including all scientific functions to do with those
> > numbers?
>
> Take a look at
> 	http://cens.ioc.ee/projects/pyginac/

Having just browsed the pyginac page for the first time, I'm
probably just flapping my gums, but why would you want a symbolic
math package for high-precision math?  I would think a python
wrapper for GMP would do it.  If such a wrapper already exists then
you're good to go.  Otherwise, go get swig and generate one.  The
Pyginac thing looks cool (if unfinished) but why use it if you
don't have to?

Just a thought, Steve