Defending the Python lanuage...

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Feb 8 08:11:26 EST 2002

> If if.  No doubt things such as personality are going to be a huge factor.
> I guess that sums up my assertion: the type of personality attracted to
> programming is not the type to endure watching someone else code.  My
> fingers would twitch themselves numb.  To have pair-programming work you
> would need two programmers who:
>
> 1.  have similar skill levels

This is incorrect.  It works great with people with radically different
skill levels.  Of course, they start to converge, so they do not end
up with different skill levels.  thats the point.  For example, people
who pair program with me and are not aware of design patterns and signature
based polymorphism will get that fixed in a hurry.  But what happens
when Alex Martelli and I are pair programming is I learn so much stuff
I never even heard about before.

It is such a joy.
> 2.  like and respect each other
> 3.  have compatible programming philosophies

(you are spot on with those, however.)

Cliff, again you are up against 'American management is impossible.'
Seriously consider visiting Sweden, for a vacation.  I think you would
like it here.

Laura Creighton