Guido wins FSF Award

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Sat Feb 16 20:23:11 EST 2002

"Tim Peters" <tim.one at home.com> writes:
> [Paul Rubin]
> > Congratulations to Guido for winning the fourth Free Software Foundation
> > Award, for inventing and implementing Python as Free Software:
> >
> >   http://www.fsf.org/press/2002-02-16-FSF-Award.html
>
> Hooray for Guido!  Shows how much the world cares about secure pickles
> <wink>.

Yes!  The award, so quickly following the Python 2.2 docs addressing
pickle security, is wonderful recognition for the Python finally
treating this vitally important issue ;-).

> > And to think I learned of this from a Timothy Rue post.  Sigh.
>
> Not at all.  Guido's acceptance speech was a foundational masterpiece,
> revealing the Nine Pythonic Actions underlying all that we do.

Well, maybe the speech will go up on the web like last year's.
Meanwhile the award also made the front page of Slashdot, as I found a
few minutes after posting.  Yes, I checked c.l.py before reading
Slashdot when I woke up this morning.  I'm not sure what that says
about either news source ;-).