add-a-gram

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Wed Feb 20 00:08:56 EST 2002

>They're spending quite a lot of $$ running those banner ads and I
>doubt if they have that many openings, so they must be looking for
>"perfect" candidates.  I'm sure they get quite a few responses.

Maybe, maybe not. There are a lot of highly imperfect ways
to get to a candidate's programming skills. Any kind of in-
house testing runs them afoul of federal labor laws, so
turning it upside down into a programming contest has appeal.
Likewise, you're pulling from a crowd of self-styled enthusiasts.
The approach has a big upside. They're likely awash in good
candidates. "Perfect"? One doesn't have to be perfect if one
is a motivated hacker. One is class-A material in this case,
a good deal of the time.

C//