Perhaps I am just dumb

wooks wookiz at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 9 05:22:44 EST 2002

New to the language, new to OO but I do understand the basic concepts,
not at all new to programming, trying to do the right thing by
searching archives before asking questions. Yet I feel I need to be
doing a university degree course in philosophy or mathematics to
follow almost any discussion. If that's the way it is fair enough but
Python is supposedly simple to learn (thus far I've had an easier time
of it learning Perl). If someone comes and says I've had the following
understanding of concept X since I was in grade 2 why is it not so in
Python, the answers seem to be heavy on the philosophical
justifications fo the Python way and light on the practical benefits.
The answers also tend to be in a totally different intellectual
context.

True I haven't been around here that long but it's a 1st impression
and it counts. Perhaps it's because so many come to Python with
baggage from another language so that issues they raise are addressed
in that context rather than conceptually.

Bought Python for Win32 book and already been caught out (Part 1 was a
breeze part 2 and I shuddered to a grinding halt). For perspective I
am a tester who wants to learn Python because of it's excellent unit
test framework and it's scripting glue like abilities (not interested
in building applications). If vbunit was as easy to figure (or had as
good a tutorial) as PyUnit (thank you Mark Pilgrim) I probably never
would have come here.  As it is perhaps getting to grips with vbunit
might be the lesser evil.

The benefits of using of Python as a scripting glue like language are
widely touted but don't seem (I am probably wrong but it's a 1st
impression) to be well catered for. As I said I am not interested in
building applications. Is there a forum for the dumber less demanding
Python user?