Perhaps I am just dumb

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Sat Feb 9 08:31:57 EST 2002

[posted and mailed]

On 9 Feb 2002 02:22:44 -0800, wookiz at hotmail.com (wooks) wrote in
comp.lang.python in article
<8852d33c.0202090222.34be7da2 at posting.google.com>:

> New to the language, new to OO but I do understand the basic concepts,
> not at all new to programming, trying to do the right thing by
> searching archives before asking questions. Yet I feel I need to be
> doing a university degree course in philosophy or mathematics to
> follow almost any discussion.

...<snippage>...

You might want to try the Tutor mailing list:

I highly recommend it.

> Bought Python for Win32 book and already been caught out (Part 1 was a
> breeze part 2 and I shuddered to a grinding halt). For perspective I
> am a tester who wants to learn Python because of it's excellent unit
> test framework and it's scripting glue like abilities (not interested
> in building applications). If vbunit was as easy to figure (or had as
> good a tutorial) as PyUnit (thank you Mark Pilgrim) I probably never
> would have come here.  As it is perhaps getting to grips with vbunit
> might be the lesser evil.

Ah, well, that's Windows for you. You might want to dabble and get your
feet wet in the language a bit before diving into the win32 module(s).
They are more complicated to work with, but that's just because it's
Windows you're dealing with. Python can't fix that interface.

Have you been to this page?
http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html
Some of the tutorials listed there might be more useful in the "language
learning stage" than that win32 book. Or not. I'm not sure where you are
with the whole thing.

You might also want to try the win32 mailing list:

> The benefits of using of Python as a scripting glue like language are
> widely touted but don't seem (I am probably wrong but it's a 1st
> impression) to be well catered for. As I said I am not interested in
> building applications. Is there a forum for the dumber less demanding
> Python user?

See above.

Hope this helps,

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

"When introducing your puppy to an adult cat,
restrain the puppy, not the cat." -- Gwen Bailey,
_The Perfect Puppy: How to Raise a Well-behaved Dog_