Help: I want a chat script!

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sun Feb 10 09:05:15 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Flavian Hardcastle" <deathtospam43423 at altavista.com>

> "Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote in
> news:mailman.1013316023.10782.python-list at python.org:
>
> > "PERL type CGI's" should be read "scripts".  You can't run Python,
> > Perl, Ruby,
> > Lua, etc. from this particular server.
> >
> > Try Xitami.  It is quite compatible with Python.  http://xitami.com
> >
> Thanx. I'm downloading it as we speak.

I have used it a little; Steve Holden wrote about it in his book which
I just finished reading.

> So with this server, will I be able to just send info direct from my
> browser form to a file? If I can do that, then I'm up and running.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  You don't send info "to a
file," you send it to a CGI script.  Your script must handle the data
from there.

> [snip]
> >
> > The form looks good, but where is script.cgi?
> >
> In the same directory as the html form, cgi-bin.

Ah... what I meant was, that you should *post* the source to
script.cgi.  Anyway, if your form is HTML it is bad form to have it in
the cgi-bin folder.

GENERALLY (though it's not real safe to say this) CGI scripts can be
stored in the cgi-bin folder, or in the htdocs/html/webroot folder;
this depends on webserver settings.  The Xitami default allows CGI
scripts only in the cgi-bin folder, but you can define that cgi-bin is
actually the same as webroot.  Xitami recognizes executable files by
extension on Windows, so your script should likely be called script.py
(assuming it is Python).

Gah.  So.  Put script.py in the Xitami cgi-bin folder, and your form in
the Xitami webpages folder, and if you are using the default
configuration, you should be in good shape.  Start Xitami and then surf
to http://localhost/yourform.html (whatever you called it) and when you
click the Submit button, the form data is sent to
http://localhost/cgi-bin/script.py (which should be in the action=
attribute of the form tag, perhaps abbreviated as /cgi-bin/script.py).
The script receives the data, does whatever, and then must send a new
page to the web browser... this is why I want to see your script.