controlling web browser in windows

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Wed Feb 13 08:55:16 EST 2002

Alan:

There is a COM object in the Windows environment which exposes most of the
functionality of Internet Exploder. This would proably give you the most
satisfactory control of the experimental (?) environment, though you would
have to learn how to "drive" COM objects form Python. Hammond and Robinson's
"Python Programming on Win32" probably explains most of what you need to
know about that.

Since I am unable to easily find a reference to the object in question I'll
leave that to someone who uses it regularly!

regards
 Steve
--
Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
Author, Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

"This is Python.  We don't care much about theory, except where it
intersects with useful practice."  Aahz Maruch on c.l.py

"Alan james Salmoni" <salmonia at cf.ac.uk> wrote in message
news:1103_1013605186 at netnews.cf.ac.uk...
> Hi,
>
> My problem is basically this:
>
> I am doing some psychological research into search engine usability and
need to have control of a web browser. I am using Python (cos it's simple -
I am a psychologist, not
> a programmer!) and looked at the webbrowser module but need to control the
back button (so that when a subject completes a task, the back button event
is automatically
> called) and have access to the history list.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions as to how this could be done. I can use
IE, Netscape, or Opera (only on Windows though).