Rotor in Jython?

Scherer, Bill Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com
Thu Feb 28 07:18:42 EST 2002

On 27 Feb 2002, Paul Rubin wrote:

> "Scherer, Bill" <Bill.Scherer at VerizonWireless.com> writes:
> > I've a need to perform rotor decryption in Jython.  A quick
> > search didn't reveal anything to help.  I've begun coding it in
> > Python from rotormodule.c. My C knowledge is not strong, so there
> > are spots that are surely not right.
>
> I hope you're not the rotor module for computer security.  That cipher
> is nowhere near as safe to use as a modern one like AES.

Understood. Let's just say it's a "locks are for honest people"
situation.  If I could get rotor decryption in Jython in the near
term, it would be useful.  Otherwise I need to make changes
elsewhere that I'd rather not have to do at this time...

> If you just have some old rotor-encrypted files you have to decrypt,
> I'd say get to a CPython environment and use the existing rotor module
> to decrypt them and be done with it.
>
> Don't use the rotor module for new traffic that needs good security.

Thanks for your concern.

--
Bill.Scherer at Verizon Wireless
RHCE 807101044903581