Possible dumb query

Wayne Pierce wayne at mishre.com
Tue Feb 12 00:37:53 EST 2002

ahimsa consulting wrote:
> Greeting Pythonites
>
> This might qualify as one of those "really dumb questions", but:
>
> Under Linux RH 7.2 when doing a search for which python ("$ which python") I
> have discovered that I have one entry for python as /usr/bin/python and one
> entry for python2.2 as /usr/bin/python2.2. My question is this: if I were to
> delete the directory /usr/bin/python what impact - if any - will it have on
> any of the libraries/ etc. that I would require to use python2.2

If they are separate installs it shouldn't cause a problem, which is
usually the case.  RH usually ships both versions of something like that
to allow a transition period for developers.  If you want to verify this
check the lib directory to see if any of the .py or .pyc files are
linked to the other directory.

Although you really shouldn't just delete the directory, check to see if
a python RPM has been installed.  This way you will see if any other
programs have a dependency (sp?) on that version of Python.  Even if
there is no other program relying on it, removing the RPM is usually
cleaner than just rm-ing the directory.

> Once again, my apologies if this is a dumb query, but gotta learn somehow.

You could always just remove it and see what happens. >:]

HTH,

--
Wayne Pierce
web: http://www.mishre.com