Windows GUI - which way?

Peter Hansen peter at engcorp.com
Thu Feb 28 19:16:21 EST 2002

Spencer Doidge wrote:

> I have a nice script running and doing useful work--in the Windows console
> mode. [...]  I'd like to make this palatable for others around the company
> to use, and that means Windows GUI.
> So should I write up a program in my favorite style, Win32 API, and embed
> Python in it?
> Or should I write the whole thing in Python?
>
> Would somebody like to comment on the pros and cons?

Write the whole thing in Python (my preference would be with wxPython)
and package it up with py2exe or equivalent.  Use a standard
installer to distribute it and no one in the company will ever
know it was written with Python.  Except for the higher reliability.
And your greater responsiveness in implementing feature requests
quickly.  And how quickly you got it to them.  Etc. :-)

(We've written several utilities with wxPython and serial ports
running under Windows.  So far the wxPython side of things
is quite primitive since we're still learning, but even in
their current state they're quite acceptable, and have no
real issues the way a more traditionally developed program
(i.e. Windows GUI with C/C++ or whatever) would have.

-Peter