Perhaps I am just dumb

Sheila King usenet at thinkspot.net
Sat Feb 9 18:06:53 EST 2002

[posted and emailed]

On 9 Feb 2002 14:32:35 -0800, wookiz at hotmail.com (wooks) wrote in
comp.lang.python in article
<8852d33c.0202091432.452ad6f9 at posting.google.com>:

> Haven't got that far. The book is the most appropriate for my needs -
> scripting glue, interacting with WSH and COM rather than building
> applications. I met the prerequisites for readership but I am finding
> out that the devil is in the detail.

I think Python is extremely appropriate for your needs. The problem is,
you are trying to jump straight into high-level stuff like that before
you are really comfortable with the language itself.

I recommend:
(1) The Python tutorial that comes with the standard distribution:
http://www.python.org/doc/current/tut/tut.html
(2) Core Python Programming by Wesley Chun
(not for beginning programmers...aimed at someone with some programming
experience...addresses the OO points and many features of the language
quite well)
(3) For an advanced online tutorial, try Dive Into Python:
http://diveintopython.org/

I also have the Programming Python book, and I liked it very much. It
isn't a reference, though, but has many excellent examples. Good for
experienced programmers who already know Python. I learned a lot from
it.

I've seen good comments about the Learning Python, also from O'Reilly.
Sounds to me like a possibility for someone in your shoes. Anyhow, I
can't recommend that one, since I'm not familiar with it.

I have a friend I'm working with right now, that we are putting together
a project in Python and PHP (he's doing all of the PHP part). He has
only just been learning Python for a few weeks. He might have some good
suggestions for you, as to how he approached learning Python (as an
experienced programmer in other languages). If you'd like me to put you
in touch with him, send me an email.

--
Sheila King
http://www.thinkspot.net/sheila/

"When introducing your puppy to an adult cat,
restrain the puppy, not the cat." -- Gwen Bailey,
_The Perfect Puppy: How to Raise a Well-behaved Dog_