Python 2.2 <-> Solaris 2.6 installation errors

Chris Wysocki news at chriswysocki.com
Sun Feb 17 23:04:10 EST 2002

On Wed, 13 Feb 2002 09:52:31 -0600, Jeff Bauer <jbauer at rubic.com>
wrote:

>I think the problems Chris and I are having may be similar.
>
>Should I submit this as a build/installation bug?
>
>Jeff Bauer
>Rubicon Research

Jeff,

I checked the log you posted in sourceforge bug log and compared it to
mine.  You are clearly getting a lot further along the 'make install'
step than I am hence I must be doing something wrong.

Basically I disabled the exception handling around the module import
in the setup.py to get a more meaningful error message and got
something equivalent to the following:

> ImportError: ld.so.1: python: fatal: libgcc_s.so.1: open failed: No such file or directory

Didn't take me long to figure out my problem.  As my userid didn't
have authority to install files in /usr/local, I was running the 'make
install' with 'sudo'.  Unfortunately sudo was not recognising my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH instead it was using roots LD_LIBRARY_PATH which was
not being set to anything.  I guess this makes sense for sudo to do
this and it was my misunderstanding of how it worked that caused the
problem.

Anyway signed on as root, set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and the make install
worked perfectly all the way through including the readline module
which seems to work fine.

Hence although our errors look the same I suspect that the cause is
different.

Something for you to try...
After you run the make, start up python interactively from your local
directory and then do 'import readline' and see if you get an error.
If you ran 'make install' then you probably need to run 'make' again
for this to be a valid test.  If you run 'make install' in a different
environment than 'make', like I was with 'sudo', then be sure to start
python in that environment.  If you get an error then that should give
you a clue where to go.

One possible scenario is that you might have a LD_LIBRARY_PATH entry
for readline that is not there when you run 'make install'.

Your posting encouraged me to sort out my own readline problems as
previously I was not able to compile readline.  I did have the
readline package from sunfreeware installed but I think it must have
had some include files missing which gave me my compile errors.
I got around the problem by uninstalling the readline package and
manually installing readline 4.2 from source.

Good luck,  Chris