RELEASED [OOPS - The Python Datastore v0.9]

Dan P dan at eevolved.com
Wed Feb 13 22:32:20 EST 2002

OOPS - The Python Datastore.

OOPS stands for object-oriented persistent storage which should give you an
idea of its purpose. It was designed to be as easy to learn as python, to
have an intuitive interface, to be conservative in memory and processor
usage; basically to be as simple as possible without sacrificing
scalability. It runs everywhere Python 2.2 runs (as long as bsddb is
installed).

OOPS makes it possible to merge database design and application design in
Python. This results in less code which in turn is more manageable and more
readable. All OOPS classes are inheritable. In fact you'll see that it has
been designed with the expressed purpose of leveraging python's
object-oriented programming concepts to their fullest.

OOPS achieves transparent persistence in the Python environment by
mirroring the python namespace over top of a shelve-like database.
Behavioral methods were added to classes to make the bind to each other and
receive extra identification information so each object could build a
unique identifying database key in which it stores persistent data.

As this is my first public release, the documentation is not as full as I
want it to be and I'm certain it isn't as stable either. I still recommend
trying it out to get a feel for this new dimension in Python programming.

You can download it at sourceforge.net here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pyobjfs/

This module is going to be the basis for many projects in the future so try
it out, recommend it to your friends and happy hacking!

Dan Parisien <dan at eevolved.com>
Software Systems Consultant
eEvolved Real-Time Technologies