Fear of autocoding!

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Mon Feb 11 15:33:58 EST 2002

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002 10:59:36 GMT, "Fredrik Lundh"
<fredrik at pythonware.com> wrote:

>Courageous wrote:
>
>> >Very good example of someone who is afraid of autocoding.
>>
>> You never did answer my question, by the way. If one has
>> become delusional, how does one become aware of it?
>
>for some reason, this whole thread reminds me of this little gem:
>
>    Unskilled and Unaware of It: How Difficulties in
>    Recognizing One's Own Incompetence Lead to
>    Inflated Self-Assessments (Kruger & Dunning, 1999)
>
>    "People tend to hold overly favorable views of their
>    abilities in many social and intellectual domains. The
>    authors suggest that this overestimation occurs, in
>    part, because people who are unskilled in these
>    domains suffer a dual burden: Not only do these
>    people reach erroneous conclusions and make un-
>    fortunate choices, but their incompetence robs
>    them of the metacognitive ability to realize it"
>
>    http://www.apa.org/journals/psp/psp7761121.html

This is just too funny: The other day I couldn't resist pointing
out how much this guy reminded me of that sci.math guy, especially
the bit about how you were just resisting because you had a
vested interest in the status quo. The current funny part is
that exactly the above has been quoted in that other context.

Didn't help.

>of course, Rue is going to argue that this doesn't apply to him, but
>to everyone else.  after all, he KNOWS he's smarter than everyone
>else, and we're just too stupid to realize how stupid we are ;-)
>
></F>

David C. Ullrich