Silly link question: python22_d.dll

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Feb 24 17:25:53 EST 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> writes:

> I have this problem I've been getting around the hard way.
> In VC6.0, when I have a program which talks to Python C/API
> functions, and my program is compiled in Debug configuration,
> it expects to find the python22_d.dll. I don't always want
> or need this, however, and was wondering how's it's possible
> to just accept python22.dll as part of my build?

It is possible, but it requires changes to the Python source code.

In PC/pyconfig.h, modify

#ifdef _DEBUG
#pragma comment(lib,"python23_d.lib")
#else
#pragma comment(lib,"python23.lib")
#endif

appropriately. Alternatively, consider whether not defining _DEBUG in
your Debug configurations may be acceptable.

> Furthermore, why the heck doesn't the binary release include
> python22_d.dll???

For size reasons. You'll not only need to include python22_d.dll, but
also the _d.pyd versions of all modules, together with the
corresponding import libraries.

Regards,
Martin