Autocoding evolves from........

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Wed Feb 6 12:48:10 EST 2002

Timothy Rue wrote:

> Programming is two deminsional, not three.

This, sadly, is where you're mistaken, Tim.  Actually, programming is often
4-dimensional, and can sometimes even be higher-dimensional than that.  I
routinely deal with the issues involved in a 3-dimensional database changing over
time (giving a 4th dimension) -- and I consider myself to be a novice.  (Actually,
I think describing the database as being 3-dimensional is underestimating its
complexity, but...)  We won't even get into how often programming is used to solve
problems of fractal dimension...

We understand that you want to make programming easier, so that anyone can do it.
Almost everyone here, professional programmer or no, thinks that that is a great
goal;  if we didn't want basic tasks to be automated and simplified, we'd be using
C and Assembler, not Python.

The problem you're running into, is that you've failed to convince anyone that
*you* understand the real problems involved, enough to be able to solve them.  You
don't need to convince us of the benefits of autocoding; you need to convince us
of *your* competence.  So far, you're failing miserably.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International