Python vs. Ruby

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Tue Dec 31 23:51:10 EST 2002

Justin Shaw wrote:

>>    * breaking object-orientation to return new objects when sorting
>>      sequences ;)
>>

><snip>
>

>>          o might also want to explain that it's not a hard thing to fix
>>            at some point in Python (if the powers-that-be want to) by
>>            adding "sorted" and "reversed" methods to the list object
>>            (no clue why you want "append" to create a new list, sounds
>>            silly to me ;) ).
>>

>You don't have to return a "new" list.  What is non-object oriented about
>this?

"motivation" ;) .  Oh, and "encapsulation" ;) .

The idea of object orientation is (roughly):
    state with bound methods which modify that state
    encapsulation of operation such that individual methods/objects have
obvious and minimal functionality, without concern for particular
use-cases not in the contract/semantics of the particular method/object

As I mentioned, I personally would prefer to go for a less pure OO
approach, but the discussion is whether returning self is OO.  Returning
a new list is nicely OO in character. OO is littered with "create a new
object just like this one save for this aspect" methods, so:

    t = s.sorted()

makes sense (you get back a new, sorted version of s from this method of
s). The fact that it fits nicely into functional style programming is
gravy.  The method does exactly what it sounds like it should do (create
a sorted version).  When you do:

    s = s.sort()

which should sort return, the original or a copy?

Why (from an OO perspective, I fully understand the desirability from a
functional perspective) would it return a pointer to something you
already have a pointer to when the function has nothing to do
semantically with "get reference to object"?  Purity says you're sorting
the object, not sorting the object and then returning random pieces of
state (such as the object reference (why not return a pointer to the
bound reverse method instead, since I often call that after calling sort
;) ?)).

But, in the end, really, who cares ;) :) .  This thread is _by far_ the
most thought I've spent on this "issue" in the last year and a half of
coding Python 8hrs/day.  Adding sorted() and reversed() to the built-in
class would probably be doable if people cared. But who knows, maybe
Guido will get a visit from a functional-programming-mafia type, reverse
his decision, and allow returning "self".

It's a whole new year (well, in 9 minutes), after all,
Mike

  Mike C. Fletcher
  Designer, VR Plumber, Coder
  http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/