Gestures in Python

Simon Wittber (Maptek) Simon.Wittber at perth.maptek.com.au
Sun Dec 8 19:42:56 EST 2002

news:<mailman.1038979626.31256.python-list at python.org>...
>> The libStroke implementation seems a bit flawed. It grabs the stroke
>> and normalizes the pattern into a 3x3 grid of points, which it uses

>No kidding. I use libstroke with fvwm2, and differentiating
>right-longdown from the other r-d strokes is a pain. Sure, it's very
>easy to teach someone how to design strokes ("just imagine a keypad"),
but
>I agree that it's the wrong encoding for strokes.
>
>Emacs, otoh, has a very good algorithm (try 'global-set-stroke') that
can
>tell very subtle swoops apart as well as my brain can. I haven't read
about
>the algorithm or even used it beyond a few tests because I'm not going
>jump to the mouse for a command while I'm in _emacs_! Some people do,
>though, I guess.
>
>-Drew

I didn't know I could use strokes in emacs! I'll have to check it out...

I found some public domain neural network python code :) which I have
used
successfully to recognize digitized strokes. You can grab the gesture
library here <http://sourceforge.net/projects/jestur>. It very much
alpha code at
the moment. It seems the key to success is the way in which strokes are
digitised. I'm not sure I've found it yet...