Gestures in Python

Drew Perttula drewp at bigasterisk.com
Sat Dec 7 19:26:07 EST 2002

"Simon Wittber (Maptek)" <Simon.Wittber at perth.maptek.com.au> wrote in message news:<mailman.1038979626.31256.python-list at python.org>...
> The libStroke implementation seems a bit flawed. It grabs the stroke and
> normalizes the pattern into a 3x3 grid of points, which it uses to

No kidding. I use libstroke with fvwm2, and differentiating right-longdown from
the other r-d strokes is a pain. Sure, it's very easy to teach someone how to
design strokes ("just imagine a keypad"), but I agree that it's the wrong encoding
for strokes.

Emacs, otoh, has a very good algorithm (try 'global-set-stroke') that can tell
very subtle swoops apart as well as my brain can. I haven't read about the
algorithm or even used it beyond a few tests because I'm not going to jump to
the mouse for a command while I'm in _emacs_! Some people do, though, I guess.

-Drew