ann: http tools using stackless python

Aaron Watters aaron at reportlab.com
Mon Dec 9 12:13:13 EST 2002

Beta Announce:  Stackless HTTP assemblies

(: Since I've survived the stackless list
I'll get more bold and try the python main list  :)
I reworked the stackless_experiments into something
more presentable that actually has a bit of documentation.

 From the readme

"""
the assemblies distribution is intended to provide an
infrastructure to allow HTTP interactions to be handled
by persistant processes with arbitrarily complex internal
state. Included also in the distribution are basic tools
which may be useful in building other TCP/IP based
services using stackless Python.

The primary advantages of the assemblies approach are that
http services built using these techniques are easier to
construct and maintain, and faster than other approaches
such as conventional CGI programming, ASP programming, or
JSP programming. Note that the assemblies infrastructure
is not meant to replace other server technology, but may be
used in cooperation with existing servers as explained below.
"""

Download:

   http://207.44.140.37/downloads/assemblies.zip

Also look at the following online demos that are included in the zip.

   http://207.44.140.37/cgi-bin/readme.cgi -- interactive readme
   http://207.44.140.37/cgi-bin/demosession.cgi -- simple session example
   http://207.44.140.37/cgi-bin/mChat.cgi -- simple HTTP multiframe chat
   http://207.44.140.37/cgi-bin/mondial.cgi -- mondial database viewer

Two notes:  (1) the online demos "vector through" an apache server
and are much slower than a direct connection, and (2) previous versions
of the server framework would hang occasionally -- I hope I've fixed
the problem, but I'm not sure -- if it hangs, I apologize.  I'll try to keep
checking...

Thanks for the interest and sorry I didn't get back to this sooner.

  -- Aaron Watters