Python's popularity statistics

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Dec 13 02:34:21 EST 2002

Peter Hansen:

> The project on which I've been spending most of my time for the
> last three years uses Python extensively in the critical portions
> of a soft real-time control system for multi-million dollar
> (and sub-hundred-thousand dollar) telecommunications systems.
> We have three systems deployed at this time, with no field
> problems yet traced to the use of Python.
>
> So far, business issues unrelated to the use of Python have
> been the main thing getting in the way of me calling the overall
> product "very successful".  The project itself, aside from that,
> has been very successful, and after two years using Python in
> it, we're still on schedule, and have yet to encounter any
> significant bugs.  (Okay, I'd also attribute that to the use of
> XP and test-driven development, but Python plays a very key
> role in our results.  It's maintainability is perhaps *the*
> key reason we've managed so far, with sometimes upwards of
> ten developers working simultaneously on different aspects.
> I would *not* try this at home, or with a different language.)
>
> > > "Static typing" is ... well, it's a more complex issue
> > > than naive observers believe.
> >
> > Indeed.
>
> +1 to that. :)
>
> -Peter
> --

In your copious spare time, please write a Python Success Story.
http://www.pythonology.org/successguide
Get O'Reilly to give you free publicity, and spread the word.
Don't worry about the deadline, looks as if a second edition is
planned -- and we will publish them on-line in any case.

<The above goes for the rest of you as well.  I know it is very hard
 to take time out from creating really cool stuff with Python to
 _talk_ about creating cool stuff with Python, but if we all wasted
 a little time on this, we would find it was not a waste -- other
 people would find out how wonderful Python is and we would get more
 cool stuff from them faster as they pitch whatever language they
 are using to create stuff in now. >

Laura Creighton