Python's popularity statistics

Laura Creighton lac at strakt.com
Fri Dec 13 12:35:25 EST 2002

> "Laura Creighton" <lac at strakt.com> wrote in message
> news:mailman.1039795638.17933.python-list at python.org...
> >
> > Pair Programming works.  if I had had Cameron sitting beside me as I
> > was writing that and he said, you just did something important, I
> > would have paid enough attention to get the details right.  As it
> > was ...
> >

> I suspect that if almost any of us had Cameron sitting beside us, we'd
> be better programmers, but I don't know that it's fair to extend that
> concept to cover *all* of Pair Programming. If you had *me* as the
> other pair half, for instance ...
>
> --
> rzed

This is a common misconception.  I get my code fixed better when the
person at our company who just figured out why classes are a cool idea
sits beside me rather than when Alex Martelli does.  When I begin to
write poor code, Alex frequently thinks that there is some deeper wiser
reason that I am doing what I am doing.  The other person just says
'I don't understand why you are doing that.  is that a good thing to do?'
And I look at it, and say 'no.' and then fix the thing.

Of course if you want 'an algorithm to accomplish effect-X which you
know you want but haven't a clue how to do' Alex is your man.

I think we should try it some day rzed.  Any Sprints planned where you
are (wherever that is?)

Laura