Idea: Binary Python installer

Gerson Kurz gerson.kurz at t-online.de
Sat Dec 14 15:24:56 EST 2002

I'm working on a project that uses wxPython. It is intended for a
Win32 audience with little or no Python exposure, so it will use a
installer (NSIS), and include binaries for easier end-user access
(sourcecode too, but that is beside the point).

Now, the size of the py2exe-compiled application is 401k. The size of
the util DLLs (python, win32all, wxPython) total 8.58 mb. The
compressed installer is 3.5 mb including all util DLLs, and 480k
without them.

Basically, the problem is this: the python scripts are (and a
py2exe-compiled binary is) of reasonable size for downloading, but
including all util DLLs blows the package up way out of proportion.
But since I cannot expect end-users to have python installed, I've got
to force the "big" download on them.

If I plan to release more than one python (wxpython) based file, I've
got to include all the DLLs in each setup, and so on.

Enter the idea of a "binary python installer": a installer that will
install compiled versions of python22.dll, standard packages (such as
wxpython) and the win32all extensions to a special folder. This would
make it much easier for "non-programmers" to use python-powered tools,
IMHO.

Small packages (like my wxpython-based util) then just have to include
a note "please dl binary python installer", and much space is saved
(both on end-users machines, and - more importantly ;) - on my ISPs
monthly bill).

What do you think?