Idea: Binary Python installer

Nicodemus nicodemus at globalite.com.br
Sun Dec 15 00:12:51 EST 2002

Gerson Kurz wrote:

>Enter the idea of a "binary python installer": a installer that will
>install compiled versions of python22.dll, standard packages (such as
>wxpython) and the win32all extensions to a special folder. This would
>make it much easier for "non-programmers" to use python-powered tools,
>IMHO.

I agree, that would be really nice.

I think it won't happen, unfortunately, because:

1) There's no "python22.dll" in the standard distribution. Since there's
other "exe" creation tools, like Installer, which their own dll, seems
unfair to use the py2exe's dll in the standard package (unless they're
both compatible, which I believe they could be).

2) Which GUI packages to include in the Binary distribution? There's at
least three to choose:
- wxPython
- TKinter
- PyQT
Include the 3 would make the package too big. I see raging wars to
decide in which one, even thought TKinter would be the obviouse choice,
since it is included in the python distribution.

3) We would have to ask for the developers of the exe creation tools
(py2exe, installer) to include a option that would build the exe in
"minimum mode", ie, the exe needs the Binary distribution to run. This
one seems the most "trouble-free".

Don't get me wrong: I would love a binary dist. But I see too much
problems for that to happen... 8(

Farewell,
Nicodemus.