Python + Mozilla/XUL/...

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Mon Dec 9 13:16:08 EST 2002

[andrew cooke wrote]
> Hi,
>
> I understand that with PyXPCOM I can write and access XPCOM objects in
> Python (in other words, I can implement objects that can be called
> from Mozilla-based apps in Python and I can call, from Python, objects
> used by Mozilla).

Yes. Although you need to build PyXPCOM into your own Mozilla build to
get it working.  This is not a small task.  I work on a project that
does this: Komodo. Most of Komodo's "smarts" are written in Python and
PyXPCOM was developped to communicate between Python and the rest of the
Mozilla framework:
    http://www.activestate.com/Products/Komodo

> But am I right in thinking that it is not yet possible to use Python
> as the scripting language within XUL?  That this must be Javascript?

That is correct, as well.

> If Python cannot be used, is this likely to change soon?

Probably not soon, though I would love it if it were.  The last I heard,
it would take a significant amount of time (on the order of months) for
the right person in the Mozilla project (i.e. one of the guys intimately
familiar with the right parts of the Mozilla core) to get this working.
I haven't heard of any effort to get this working yet.

Trent

--
Trent Mick
TrentM at ActiveState.com