Python vs Java garbage collection?

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Mon Dec 23 04:14:05 EST 2002

Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote previously:
|Even with such a guarantee given in good faith (if it were even needed
|at all), there's still no assurances that circumstances couldn't come
|along that could void that guarantee.  You could move on to other
|things, or some other faction would take over CPython development and
|turn it in new directions, etc.

Well sure... you also have no *guarantee* that Guido won't decide that
scalar variables must all be prefixed with '$' in Python 3.0 (or
2.3final, for that matter).

I trust Martin's word here, though... even if it is a matter of (good)
percentages.

Yours, Lulu...

P.S. Besides, I let finalization close my files 90% of the time myself
:-)... and I don't think I'd be characterized as a "junior programmer"
very much.  Then again, I admit that I like to write command-line
utilities that pretty much want their files until the run is completed
(i.e. a couple seconds later), which probably makes up that 90%.

--
 mertz@  _/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY: \_\_\_\_    n o
gnosis  _/_/             Postmodern Enterprises            \_\_