Python vs Java garbage collection?

Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Mon Dec 23 05:17:25 EST 2002

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters wrote:

> Well sure... you also have no *guarantee* that Guido won't decide that
> scalar variables must all be prefixed with '$' in Python 3.0 (or
> 2.3final, for that matter).
>
> I trust Martin's word here, though... even if it is a matter of (good)
> percentages.

My comment about CPython potentially changing was really a side point.
I myself have no doubt that CPython's finalization behavior will never
change.  Assurances were offered for a point that didn't need assuring;
it was a theoretical aside in the first place.  My point was simply was
that Python as a language does not guarantee prompt and certain
finalization, regardless of what CPython does.

What was a minor aside ended up being inflated into a major issue.  It
was really a side comment; I was simply pointing out that since the
behavior is marked as unspecified, for all intents and purposes CPython
_could_ change and that would be just fine according to the ad hoc
"specification" that the documentation constitutes.  I never suggested
that this was actually likely or even plausible.

/  \ The only completely consistent people are the dead.
\__/ Aldous Huxley
    Rules for Buh / http://www.alcyone.com/max/projects/cards/buh.html
 The official rules to the betting card game, Buh.