examples of CGI "games" with Python

Will Stuyvesant hwlgw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 12 17:04:02 EST 2002

As a fun project I would like to write a game: a simple version of
nethack.  Or a simple strategy/civilization thing.  The idea is that
the user only has to point a browser to a website.  On the website url
there is a CGI script that presents the user with a small part of the
map and a few buttons for commands etc.  The webpage presented to the
user preferably has to "refresh" automatically every 30 seconds or so
if the user does not issue commands during the 30 seconds.  This is
possible using some HTML pragma but I can not find an example.

As an extra challenge: on the serversite it is a Silicon Graphics
machine running IRIX with Python 1.4 and 1.5 installed, and I have no
permission to install a higher Python version and the sysadmin does
not want it either.

Does anybody have an example of something similar?  Or good ideas?
(except using java applets or Python modules that need a higher Python
version :-)

'''
We are Microsoft.  Unix is irrelevant.
Openness is futile.  Prepare to be assimilated.
'''