learning to program!

Bengt Richter bokr at oz.net
Thu Dec 26 11:17:17 EST 2002

On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 06:24:00 +0100, "Ole Jensen" <ole_jensen at dbmail.dk> wrote:

>I have no experince in programing...

Are you sure? Have you never written detailed instructions for someone
else to follow? Computer programming is just extra detailed. Think of
writing super detailed recipes for a compulsively obedient, literalminded
and unimaginative cook, where it's ok to refer to a looseleaf cookbook
called the operating environment.

BTW, if you can specify how to get the steamed broccoli and baked
potatoes on the table at the same time as a steak done right, you've
got a good intuitive base for real time programming too ;-)

Python is a very good format for writing computer recipes.

>wouæd you recommend me whith starting in python or just by making programs
>with my ti-83 graph-calculatr?

Actually, it's not a bad idea to write notes in outline English that
express your intent. If you make it a bit structured, it will begin to
look like Python's indented style.

I am not familiar with the ti-83, but I can't imagine it providing as
good access to clean programming primitives and also a range of deeper
stuff to keep you from getting bored as Python.

I would recommend Python, starting with enough tutorial stuff that
you can understand the basics.

One thing: play with single statements typed into the interactive interpreter.
Just try things, to see what they do. Get familiar with list comprehensions,
string operations, and how different names can be bound to the same object.

There is no substitute for exploring interactively, IMO, though tutorials
provide many good starting points. Make sure you go far enough to know
how to create and use simple classes. Then you can model a frog and tell
it to jump instead of just throwing it (which is not nice even for a model frog ;-)

Regards,
Bengt Richter