Python as an Object Oriented Programming Language

Aaron K. Johnson akjmicro at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 21 22:15:02 EST 2002

In message <ab5a0v4taubok7clgkupqqe52tg3cmp5dm at 4ax.com>, Courageous wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Dec 2002 00:19:19 GMT, Manuel M. Garcia <mgarcia at cole-switches.co
> > wrote:
>
> >I think the whole Python-newsgroup vs. LISP-newsgroup thing all
> >started when a Pythonista went into the LISP newsgroup and asked for
> >opinions about why Python seemed to be overtaking LISP.
>
> *shrug*
>
> c.l.l is a cestpool, thanks to Erik Naggum. He destroys the place.
> I formed this opinion before ever even learning Python.
>
> I had the temerity to ask the c.l.l group if there was an automatic
> serializer available for lisp. What I got instead was a long lecture
> on why it was that such things wouldn't be good for me. I replied
> that I didn't really want a long lecture on why it was that it wasn't
> good for me, I wanted to know if there was one somewhere anyway. An
> endless torrent of abuse and insult was my reward.

Yeah, I know the feeling. I wish I could say that Erik is the only guy doing
it, too. But from what I can remember, he has a samll loyal band of cronies who
back him up from time to time, saying stuff like "Erik is a bit harsh-but you
deserved it for asking such a dumb question."

Its a real hostile place, and it utterly turned me off to Lisp culture in
general.

I gain satisfaction in knowing that Python is enjoying real-world success and
usage while their pet language dies a slow pathetic death. And I have nothing
against Lisp (ok a couple of things) as a language. Just many of the people
using it, or at least those in C.L.L., appear to be such losers!

-Aaron.