HELP! Must choose language!

Michael Prager Mike.Prager at noaa.gov
Mon Dec 30 11:29:10 EST 2002

Martin Christensen <knightsofspamalot-factotum at gvdnet.dk> wrote:

>C and C++ will teach you about how the machine works on a basic level,
>but personally I believe that these details are less important than
>understanding the problem solving techniques on a more abstract level
>that are necessary to becoming a good programmer.

I completely agree with this.  There is no reason for a beginner
to start with something like C or C++.  Python would be far
better, as it puts more emphasis on the problem and less on the
silly machine mechanics than C or C++.  Even modern Fortran
would be better than C, if the poster is mainly interested in
numerical problems.

--
Mike Prager
NOAA, Beaufort, NC