HELP! Must choose language!

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Mon Dec 30 22:57:24 EST 2002

In article <jbc7e-u9g.ln1 at news.lairds.org>, Kyler Laird wrote:
> grante at visi.com (Grant Edwards) writes:
>
>>Learn Python first, then learn Scheme, Prolog, PDP-11 assembler, Fortran,
>>Java, C.  I suppose you can through in C++ if required...
>
> Would you like to argue that order?

There probably should be a purely functional language in there too.  And
some Smalltalk.

Nope, except for C being towards the end and C++ being last.  I haven't
learned C++ yet[*], and I've been programming for 30+ years and have
probably forgten at least a dozen languages by now.  It's taken a little
effort to avoid C++, but I think it's been worth it.  :)

> I think assembler should be taught right after learning about gates.  Get a
> taste of it and then jump right to Python.

That would be an interesting approach.  I think everybody should learn
PDP-11 assembly and look at the instruction set at the machine level.  It
was a beautiful design.

> I'm even hoping to teach a class that way...

I wonder if you could find a PDP-11 simulator and assembler somewhere...

[*] I've not learned enough C++ to use it, but I have learned enough to try
    to avoid it.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Did I SELL OUT yet??
                                  at